Custom Battery Design & Production Services
Proven Innovative Battery Pack Solutions
Epec Engineered Technologies is an experienced designer, developer, and manufacturer of innovative battery power solutions. With more than 70 years of operational excellence, we have built a state-of-the-art ISO9001:2015 production facility outside of Boston, Mass., along with strategic global manufacturing locations to provide cost-effective, high-volume production. Epec manages complex customer programs with our stable of in-house design, tooling, programming, regulatory, and test capabilities.
We offer designs for both primary and secondary chemistries to include, alkaline, NiMH, NiCd, primary lithium, and the latest lithium-ion or lithium-polymer batteries. Our goal is to offer full battery design support to help create a custom pack with optimal size, capacity, voltage, and operating temperature range to meet the many varied application demands.
Design & Production Services
At Epec Engineered Technologies we provide early design guidance, and design services in the following areas:
- Battery chemistry selection, including lithium-ion, lithium polymer, lithium iron phosphate, nickel metal hydride, alkaline, and some sealed lead acid.
- Battery charger selection/design - whether it is standard off-the-shelf or complete custom developed design.
- Battery fuel-gauge suggestions based on application to include the latest in TI products and software.
- Battery safety circuitry recommendations - whether it's standard for basic lithium chemistry protection or custom developed to support specific requirements.
- Battery construction suggestions to include everything from chemistry and cell selection to BMS designs and enclosure recommendations with design development.
- System architecture guidance.
- Regulatory guidance to include all requirements managed by Epec to include UN, UL, and IEC certifications.
- Production test equipment - custom designed and developed to support low- to high-volume projects.
We provide full turn-key services in product development, production of batteries, chargers, and battery packs with embedded BMS control.
Portable Power Design
Mechanical Engineering Support to Include:
- Plastic design with 3-D modeling.
- SLA prototypes and polyurethane quick-turn molds to support prototype development and low-volume projects.
- Production tooling design to include ultrasonic weld and injection molding capabilities to support high-volume production.
- Custom label and overlays to include any custom features, adhesives, colors, embossing, and various materials to meet UL standards.
Electrical Engineering and PCB Design and Layout Support to Include:
- PCB Design optimization
- Schematic capture
- Gerber files
Custom Battery, Battery Charger, and Fuel Gauge Design to Include:
- PCB layouts
- Gerber files
- Complete BOM (bill of materials)
- Housing material recommendations, and design support
Embedded Firmware Development
- Custom battery and customer system interface development.
- Embedded firmware is the flash memory chip that stores specialized software running in a chip in an embedded device to control its functions.
Automated Production Test Equipment Design and Development
- Production test equipment development. See our blog post on testing battery packs before assembly for more information.
Battery Team Experience
We have key team members that have been active within the battery and battery-charger industry since 1996. Our battery team has more than 22 years of experience in military, medical, industrial, and high-volume consumer industries providing Epec a distinct advantage when developing and qualifying battery designs for use in these industries.
Epec's experience includes pioneering the development of custom safety circuits and battery chargers for the Li-sulfur chemistry. We have extensive experience in the development of safety-circuits, fuel gauging, and battery chargers for Li-ion, and Li-polymer chemistries. As a result, our team has received numerous patents in their area of work.