Flex & Rigid-Flex PCB Data Requirements and Fabrication Instructions
Below you will find the minimum data information requirements needed to place your flex or rigid-flex circuit board order. The purpose of this webpage is to describe the minimum data and information required to generate the tooling for your order.
The minimum required data and information set can be broken down into the two categories: Data Requirements and Fabrication Instructions.
Flex & Rigid-Flex Data Requirements
Date set consists of the traditional data package which must include the following:
Gerber Data in the following formats:
- 274D including separate aperture list with all apertures defined
- 274X - Preferred
- Gerber files with aperture lists
- DXF can be used requires an approval prior to production
- ODB++ format
See our blog post on rigid-flex PCB gerber layout requirements for more information.
Drill Data in the following formats:
- Excellon 1
- Excellon 2
Also acceptable is ODB++ data. ODB++ will be supplied as a single file, usually with the extension of .tgz. ODB++ contains all the required board and drill information.
* Note: Any other data formats need to be reviewed and approved by Epec Engineering before the order can be placed.
Flex & Rigid-Flex Fabrication Instructions
The fabrication instructions should contain all relevant information required to tool and build the part including:
- Material Stackup: Defining all materials, copper weights, Coverlay/Soldermask(s), and finished thickness requirements with tolerance(s)
- IPC 6013 Manufacturing Class 2 or 3 (Class 1 not available)
- Hole sizes with tolerances, and plating information
- Board outline detail with all required dimensions and tolerances
- Hole or feature to edge dimensions
- Surface finish requirements
- Silkscreen requirements
- Min. Bend Radius requirement(s)
- ZIF Connector make(s) & part number(s) that the design connects to (if utilized)
- Technical contact information
- Any additional requirements (i.e. impedance control, plugged vias, stiffeners, PSA etc.)
Fabrication instructions may be supplied in the following formats:
- Fabrication Drawing formats:
- Adobe Acrobat (.pdf)
- AutoCAD (.DWG or .DXF)
- Graphic file (.JPG, .GIF, .TIF, etc.)
- Array configurations – tab or scored preference
- Notes, read me files, and/or customer specification