Flex Circuit Benefits
Package Size Reduction
- Flexible circuit thinness and light weight will enable a substantial packaging size reduction.
- Flexible circuit’s ability to be folded or creased and positioned into the smallest areas makes miniaturization of many devices possible.
- Thin and flexible polyimide film requires a much smaller area, reducing the packaging size and overall material costs.
- Flex circuits used as interconnects reduce the number of connections to be soldered.
Replacement for Wires & Wire Harness Assemblies
- Flexible circuits used to replace wiring reduces the errors common in hand wired assemblies.
High Temperature Applications
- Flex circuits dissipate heat at a better rate than other dielectric materials.
- Expansion and contraction are minimized when using polyimide material.
- Substantial weight reduction is a benefit over wires and wire harnesses.
High Density Applications
- Flexible circuits allow for narrow lines giving way to high density device population. Denser device populations and lighter conductors can be designed into a product, freeing space for additional product features.
Reliability & Durability
- The exceptional thermal stability of polyimide allows the circuit to withstand applications with extreme heat, as the materials excellent thermal stability provides a better base for surface mounting than traditional boards. Because the compliant base film places less stress on soldered joints, thermal mismatch is less likely to occur.